Weekly Feature

2012-04-05 / Police Blotter

Beer, dog food, toothpaste among ‘hot’ items in stores

Monday, March 26

A Christopher Drive woman learned that her personal information had been used fraudulently to open a credit card account. She received the new card in the mail, and immediately contacted the credit card company to cancel it. She then learned that a nearly $200 purchase had already been made to that account, which has a $2,000 credit limit.

Total calls received: 51

Tuesday, March 27

Approximately $8,000 worth of equipment was removed from a hotel construction site on Slade Avenue. In addition, a 150-foot spool of aluminum wire worth up to $500 was removed from a secured area. The cable lock to that room was found cut.

A Morris Crescent woman reported that $161 in cash was removed from her unlocked vehicle. She had just returned from a business trip and intended on bringing the bills with her to work the next day. Her purse, which was on the front passenger seat, was left untouched.

A Fieldcrest Court woman was contacted by a male alleging to be her grandson. He stated that he was arrested in Mexico and needed $2,800 to be sent via Western Union to an Acapulco address. The woman realized this was a scam after she contacted her grandson, who was at his residence in Cheektowaga.

Total calls received: 57

Wednesday, March 28

• A “welcome” flag was removed from the front yard of a Southgate Drive home.

Upon stopping a driver on Harlem Road for not wearing a seatbelt, patrol also learned that the vehicle’s registration was suspended.

Total calls received: 69

Thursday, March 29

• Traffic was backed up on Clinton Street because of a black sedan traveling roughly 5 mph. Then the vehicle came to an abrupt stop in the middle of the roadway, at which time four youths traveling on foot were observed getting into the vehicle. Patrol eventually stopped the car and found the driver’s license to be suspended.

At the intersection of Clinton Street and Union Road, a vehicle failed to turn left in the designated lane when the light turned green. The vehicle did turn at the next cycle but was stopped by patrol, which found the driver to be operating with a suspended license.

A male resident reported that his Droid cellphone was stolen from the sidelines while he was playing basketball at the Southtowns Family YMCA on Southwestern Boulevard.

An unknown man was accused of leaving Wegmans on Orchard Park Road without paying for eight 28-packs of beer and one 35-pound bag of dog food.

Total calls received: 43

Friday, March 30

A couple on Burgundy Circle received two harassing phone calls just minutes apart from different numbers. The caller identified the resident by his first name and threatened to do harm to him and his wife. When patrol attempted to call both numbers, a recording states that they are either disconnected or not in service.

Patrol observed a vehicle traveling 46 mph over the speed limit on Orchard Park Road. The driver pulled into a driveway and was standing outside the vehicle with the keys in his pocket upon patrol arrival. He admitted to drinking earlier in the night and failed some sobriety tests before he was arrested for driving while intoxicated.

Total calls received: 92

Saturday, March 31

An Orchard Park woman was accused of stealing eight bottles of Colgate toothpaste from the Dollar Tree on Seneca Street. Employees alleged that the woman also attempted to steal $40 worth of household products but dropped them in an aisle when she realized she was being watched. The suspect was stopped in the area and detained by a Buffalo police officer until West Seneca patrol arrived.

Two bricks were reportedly used to smash two windows on a Dirkson Avenue home, causing roughly $200 in damage.

A woman’s Ford Explorer was allegedly struck sometime within a 12-hour period of parking it on Neubauer Court. The passenger side mirror was pushed into the window, causing it to break. Several scratches were also found on the passenger-side rear door of the vehicle.

Total calls received: 50

Sunday, April 1

A young man involved in an injury accident on Seneca Street was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He was observed to have a strong odor of alcohol on his breath as well as having bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. He failed sobriety testing and later registered a .29 percent blood alcohol level.

An employee of a Clinton Street gas station reported that a driver asked for $20 worth of gas before quickly changing it to $40 instead. Once the latter amount of gas was pumped into the vehicle, the driver alleged that he had already paid the attendant, which was not true, according to the employee.

Total calls received: 42

(Editor’s note: The Bee’s police blotter is a sampling of unusual calls received by the West Seneca Police Department. It is not intended to be a complete record of all incidents reported. Residents can report incidents to the WSPD by calling its anonymous tip line at 675-8423.)

Return to top